George III
| THE STATUE UPON THIS PILLAR WAS ERECTED AD 1810 BY ROBERT EARL OF BUCKINGHAMSHIRE TO COMMEMORATE THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE REIGN OF HIS MAJESTY KING GEORGE THE THIRD |
![]() |
Despite some storm damage in 1931 when his right forearm and sceptre fell, the statue remained on Dunston Pillar until 1941 when the height was considered hazardous to wartime aircraft at nearby RAF Waddington and RAF Coleby Grange. Although the Ministry instructions were to dismantle the statue with the greatest of care, this proved more difficult than anticipated and the statue was effectively unceremoniously toppled and broke into countless pieces. The incident was likened to ‘Humpty Dumpty’ and there were quips about ‘putting King George together again’.
Many are restored here as a fragment of King George III, though the rest survives in the below ground cells of the Georgian Prison in the Castle.
When the statue was being erected, a stonemason tragically fell to his death. John Willson was buried in nearby Harmston churchyard, and he is remembered with a headstone depicting the pillar and a fitting epitaph:
He who erected the noble King,
Is here now laid dead by Death’s sharp sting
Dunston Pillar was originally erected by Sir Francis Dashwood (1708-1781), 2nd baronet, of West Wycombe and Hell-fire Club fame who acquired property in the area when he married Sarah Ellis of nearby Nocton Hall in 1745. Dashwood erected the Dunston Pillar in 1751 as an inland lighthouse to guide travellers across Dunston Heath but became obsolete following the opening of the turnpike road. The lantern was lit for the last time in 1808 and fell from the pillar in a storm the following year.
If you require any further information please contact the office.
Phone
VISIT
Preserve | Develop | Protect
Address
St Mary’s Guildhall
385 High Street, Lincoln
LN5 7SF
Lincoln Civic Trust Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number: 527492 and registered address: St.Marys Guildhall, 385 High Street, Lincoln, LN5 7SF.
Registered Charity Number: 249420
